Friday, September 15, 2006

STAR WARS!

I first heard about this movie when one of my brother's friends came over to our house on a Saturday, when we were all fixing our bikes (tires, oiling chains, etc.), and all he kept talking about were these space AWESOME battles! I had no idea what he was talking about, but since I knew I wasn't going to be seeing "Jaws" anytime soon (my parents said I was too young), I was determined to see this.

My Dad, Mom, brother and I all went to see this movie, one night after dinner. While they enjoyed the movie, none of them took to it like I did. And I don't really know why; I just did.

I had no idea what I was in for when I saw this movie, and it literally changed my life:

- I met a friend at school via Star Wars, and together we saw the movie more than 50 times.

- I walked around with stiff arms and legs, perfecting my first British accent, as portrayed by Anthony Daniels (playing C3PO, of course) - it drove my Mom nuts! Later, I increased my accents, as I got more into Monty Python, but that's another post...

- I became interested in really good story telling, classical music, how music could be used to enhance moods (which would come in handy later on in life), and the art of the movie (scripts, comics, trading cards, toys, etc.)...it was all good.

The closest thing I have found to re-experiencing this effect has been through video games and the video games industry.

Why? It's a more immersive and inviting medium than any other. It not only engages all of your sense - it also engages your imagination, which is much more powerful.

Think about this - one of the next five U.S. Presidents (and their administrative staff) will not only have been kids influenced by Star Wars, but they will also probably have played video games, probably an Atari or a Nintendo...

No comments: