Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Flying

I first became interested in flying at a very young age (5-ish) when my brother (who is now a pilot) started getting interested in military aircraft from World War II. While we went back and forth on several types (among my favorites are the P-51 Mustang and the F-4U Corsair), our mutual favorite was the Boeing B-17. Its design and functional capabilities were astounding for it's time. Even now, it is a thrilling experience to actually go up and see one of the few remaining B-17s that are in flying condition.

As I've grown, and have come to more fully understand the reason why these aircraft were built, I appreciate even more their design and capabilities. This video clip is one of the best I've seen (excluding, of course, those used in Twelve O'Clock High). You can see how much damage the airplane can take and keep flying; I believe those are pieces of the airplane that you see falling away...

No comments: